Movie Review: Les Miserables (Tom Hooper)



So, I recently (12 hours ago) watched Les Miserables and I absolutely loved it (I know I am late to the club by a few millennia but can we move on?). I generally don’t like musicals (they can make normal speech into a song that always sounds opera-ish. For example: Sentence – I want to poop. How they say it in musicals – IIIIIIIIIIIIIII (for 5 seconds in bass voice); waaaaant toooo (for 2 seconds in shrieky voice); poooooooooooop (5 seconds in bass voice again)), but I decided to watch this one because I am on an Eddie Redmayne spree and Eddie Redmayne is perfect.

I have to say Les Miserables is a work of art that deserves more recognition.  Tom Hooper did a wonderful job in making sure every scene stays intact, no words lost, in the great ocean that is a musical.

The actors/singers were brilliant in bringing in the emotions and feelings to each scene.  Hugh Jackman, in all his manly glory, played the rough role of a convict, the vulnerable role of a changed man, the secretive role of a model citizen, the loving and protective role of a father with ease and grace. He sang like it was his only mean of living, putting his all into his songs.

Anne Hathaway, goddammit, looked unnervingly beautiful all through the film. Her role, as Fantine, was that of a single mother who was forced to give her little Cosette away because of her heart breaking poverty. She loses her job, because, to put it plainly, the people she worked with were a-holes and becomes a prostitute just so she can pay her monthly dues to the family taking care (the Thenardiers, they weren’t taking care of Cosette) of her child. Hathaway portrays the heart-wrenching misery in an exceptional way and I feel she deserves her Oscar as much as Leo deserves one. To put it simply, the screen space she occupies in this movie is inversely proportional to the grief she inflicts.

Russell Crowe, as Javert, astonishes all in his near-perfect French accent and brilliant acting skills. I felt he was the crème de la crème of the whole musical, hands down. Amanda Seyfried and Samantha Barks, did their roles justice, those of a petite sweet girl-in-love and a best friend in agony who eventually dies, respectively. Eddie Redmayne, well, he was perfect. He had the fire in him, the fire for a revolution, the fire of passion, and he portrayed this fire extremely subtly without going overboard.

The sound mixing was amazing and the dialogues were good. I did feel a few dialogues could’ve been delivered in a better way by some of the supporting actors and the movie could’ve been a little crisper, but all in all, it is only fair that these glitches get excused in the face of the massive success that is Les Miserables.

So, should you watch it? : YES!
Rating: 8.9 / 10





7 comments:

  1. Just like you,I am not a huge fan of musicals.But I really loved this movie as well.Mostly because of its cast.Every actor was perfect for their role.
    Wonderful review Smrithi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Mishma! Thank you!
      I am thinking of watching Cinderella! Let's hope it is as good as Les Miserables!


      -Smrithi

      Delete
  2. I actually love musicals, so I was excited to see this when it came out. I had never actually seen or heard any version of Les Miserables before, other than the occasional bit here or there, but I fell in love immediately. The movie is so good! I think everyone did a great job. A lot of people complained about Russell Crowe's acting and singing in this, but I'm with you. I think he was great. I've since seen the musical performed twice and I own three or so different versions of the soundtrack. :P I'm slowly reading the book as well, but that thing sure is long!

    Vicarious Caytastrophe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Thanks for reading!
      The casting was extremely impeccable! And the set too!
      Yes, the book by Victor Hugo is looong! I read some 50 pages and then laziness conquered me, should get on with it! :D

      -Smrithi

      Delete
  3. I LOVE musicals (modern ones) and Les Mis was a definite favorite, so this one was a no-brainer for me. I totally agree - it was AMAZING!!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete