The Lannisters Send Their Regards



Game of Thrones isn't really a TV show for everyone. It has incest, twisted murders, frivolous sex, grotesque organ chopping, frequent nudity and gore of the nth order. That being said, I will now proceed to explain just how awesome Game of Thrones is.

When you play a game of thrones you win or you die.

Game of Thrones is a complex phenomenon you never quite understand unless you read the plot summary on Wikipedia as and when you're watching the corresponding episode. I felt like an absolute country hunch-bumpkin as I watched the first episode, unable to wrap my head around concepts which were beyond me. It's alright if you felt that way. You're not alone.


So this amazingly well written series is all about family feuds. No, I don't mean soap-opera-family feuds like. I mean let's-kill-my-fiancee's-father-and-exhibit-to-her-his-severed-head like. Yes. You have several houses (some rich, some poor; some smart, some not) plotting against each other to be the sole occupant (rightful or not) of the Iron Throne. By watching this series, you are signing up for betrayal, HEARTBREAK, surprise and lots and lots of drama. Again, not the soap opera type drama.

"Fear cuts deeper than swords."

The thing about this medieval drama is that however strong you are, whatever tribulations you've been through, however cold your heart might be, YOU. WILL. CRY. You will weep for every life taken (human or other), for every battle lost, for every woman raped and for every wrong choice made. But you realise the series goes on. Even when the person the whole story was about dies at the end of Season One. And when you think there are no more character alive for this show to go on. It goes on. How, you think. I'll tell you how: George RR Martin is a genius who always has his way, that's how.



I am pretty sure I've cursed George RR Martin more than I've praised him. I've thought of him more as a perverted sadist than as a skilled writer. He has caused me way too many heartbreaks for a 66 year old writer who lives thousands of miles away from me. I've laid my head on my laptop and weeped in agony more than once.
But the best part is you enjoy all of it. You enjoy the series. You take in the pain. You look forward to the innocuous romancing. You awe at the brilliant war strategies. You fall in love.

"Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word."

To put it in few words, Games of Thrones isn't a pretty thing. It is very ugly and very cold. I can't bring myself to describe it as 'nice' or 'fun'. Game of Thrones isn't nice or fun or pretty or beautiful. It is a fucking masterpiece.



0 comments:

Post a Comment